Mink Meadows was established through the visionary work of New York City banker Robert Bigelow, an avid hunting and fishing sportsman. His love of both the Vineyard and the outdoors resulted in the acquisition of property known as Mink Meadows in the West Chop area circa 1928. Initially, trees were removed to create fire lanes that would impede the spread of a large conflagration. Eventually Mr. Bigelow noticed that these fire lanes resembled golf course fairways. Bigelow soon caught the “golf bug” and hired golf architects Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek to design a course. Stiles and Van Kleek originally proposed a 27-hole layout, but due to difficult economic conditions, the course was reduced to its current 9-hole design.
From these humble beginnings, Mink Meadows has gradually developed into the golf course we know today, and has maintained a quality and challenge on the island that is second to none, 80-plus years after its inception.
One thing that hasn’t changed over the years is the character of the club as originally envisioned by Mr. Bigelow. Mink Meadows continues to be an inclusive group of golfers who enjoy the diversity in every dimension of our fellow members, their guests, and public players that we welcome to the club.
Our respect for the environment has also continued. Mink Meadows was founded with great care given to preserving the property to which the golf course is but a part. We take care in maintaining the golf course with as few chemicals as possible. No fungicides or insecticides have been applied to the fairways or roughs for over a decade. All practices and programs are designed and structured with the environment in mind.
Mink Meadows also continues to support, and give back to, the Martha’s Vineyard community in a variety of ways. One such way includes making the course available each year, at no additional charge, to many charitable and/or non-profit organizations for various golf outings.